Working with the board of directors and other senior executives of the organization, the vice president plans, develops and enforces policies and objectives for the organization to ensure it maintains its values and meets established goals.
Under the direction of the president or board of directors, a nonprofit vice president manages employees and the day-to-day activities of the organization. This includes developing responsibilities for the staff, hiring employees, developing and mentoring staff, as well as ensuring the organization accomplishes tasks to meet its overall goals.
Because most nonprofit organizations rely on donations from the community and individuals interested in the organization success, the vice president creates public awareness initiatives and ensures the organization is visible to the community and those interested in assisting the foundation. This may include assigning staff members to coordinate fundraisers, community events and other programs to create responsiveness to the organization.
- Attend all board meetings
- Serve on the executive committee if one exists
- Carry out special assignments as requested by the board chair
- Understand the responsibilities of the board chair and be able to perform these duties in the chair’s absence
- Participate as a vital part of the board leadership
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO as s/he develops and implements XYZ’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by XYZ for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving XYZ’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Assisting the CEO and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the CEO and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Representing MEECO Institute to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring MEECO’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities XYZ serves